Lay Witness Mission (LWM)
- Create meaningful small groups
- Increase the desire for prayer
- Learn to share your faith story
- Receive a new touch from God
A Lay Witness Mission Is . . .
- People searching for ways to understand what it means for them to live as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today;
- People taking time to listen to others and to tell of God’s love;
- People telling others about their hungers, joys, hurts, and discoveries in their lives;
- People communicating to others what Jesus Christ means to them and how the good news of the Gospel makes a difference in their everyday living;
- People sharing faith, witnessing, enjoying fellowship, and praying with Jesus as their focus.
Description Of The MissionThe Lay Witness Mission is a strategy for evangelism that encourages laypersons to share their faith journeys with others. It encourages the formation of small groups that are vital to the ongoing ministry of your local church. It also incorporates a model for reaching out to friends, neighbors, relatives, and colleagues by inviting them into homes for fellowship and discussion. It engages the congregation in prayer ministries that become a vibrant part of a healthy church.
The Lay Witness Mission includes a recommended 6 month preparation period, a weekend spiritual renewal experience, and a time of follow-up which includes the formation of new small groups for study, prayer, and ministry. The local church leadership is provided by laypersons with the encouragement of the pastor.
The Weekend Overview
The focus is a weekend experience in which a team of laypeople come to your local church to share their personal faith experiences with Jesus Christ.
Friday evening begins with a congregational fellowship time which often includes a covered dish dinner. This is followed by a general session with singing and team testimonies, children & youth ministries and small group discussions. After a re-assembly to hear small group reports, everyone is released for the evening.
Saturday includes meeting in home groups, children & youth sessions and luncheon meetings for men and women. That evening, following a covered dish meal, general sessions are again held.
Sunday the mission coordinator and team will be present and available to lead Sunday school and the morning worship service. Sunday evening the church gathers without the team for a time of celebration, sharing and planning for the future.
Setting Up A Weekend
The request for scheduling (click here) by the pastor of the church. A minimum of six months lead time is desirable to provide ample opportunity for preparation.
If you have any questions or comments, Dr. Frank Billman would love to talk to you by phone at 1-877-857-9372.
Expense To The Church
The church will be responsible for a non-refundable registration fee of $175* which includes the local church preparation materials. The church is also asked to help with the LWM Coordinator’s travel expenses. During the weekend the church agrees to take up a love offering or make a contribution to ARM for Lay Witness Missions. Churches are further encouraged to make ARM a part of the church's annual mission budget.
The rest of the team members travel at their own expense to live for the weekend with members of the congregation. The church will need to provide meals and suitable housing for the team.
Each adult participant needs a guidebook at $5 each. Many churches charge a $5 registration fee to help defray this expense. Others prefer to fund this from the church budget.
Team members are prayerfully selected because of their openness and willingness to share their experiences as they also learn to walk with Jesus and allow the Holy Spirit to lead them.
Team members will provide programming for your church’s elementary aged children and youth throughout the weekend.
The coordinator works closely with the pastor and general chairperson of the local church in preparing for the weekend.
New Tools & Resources Help Promote Your LWM
- Posters, postcards, flyers and email blasts
- Church bulletin inserts
- Pre-mission Bible Study
- Pre-mission devotional thoughts
- Pre-mission sample sermons
- LWM promo DVD and web promo video
- Lay Witness Mission preparation CD
- Prayer Vigil Guide
- Lay Witness Mission brochures
- LWM graphics for presentation software