Lay Witness Mission (LWM)
Lay Witness Mission Is
- People searching for ways to understand what it means for them to live as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today;
- People taking time to listen to others and to tell of God’s love;
- People telling others about their hungers, joys, hurts, and discoveries in their lives;
- People communicating to others what Jesus Christ means to them and how the good news of the Gospel makes a difference in their everyday living;
- People sharing faith, witnessing, enjoying fellowship, and praying, with Jesus as their focus.
Description Of The Mission
The Lay Witness Mission is a strategy for evangelism that encourages laypersons to share their faith journeys with others. It encourages the formation of small groups that are vital to the ongoing ministry of your local church. The LWM also incorporates a model for reaching out to friends, neighbors, relatives, and colleagues by inviting them into homes for fellowship and discussion. It engages the congregation in prayer ministries that become a vibrant part of a healthy church.
The Lay Witness Mission includes a recommended 6 month preparation period, a weekend spiritual renewal experience, and a time of follow-up which includes the formation of new small groups for study, prayer, and ministry. The local church leadership is provided by laypersons with the encouragement of the pastor.
The Weekend Overview
The focus is a weekend experience in which a team of laypeople come to your local church to share their personal faith experiences with Jesus Christ.
Friday evening begins with a congregational fellowship time which often includes a covered dish dinner, followed by a general session with singing and team testimonies, children & youth ministries and small group discussions. After a re-assembly to hear small group reports, everyone is released for the evening.
Saturday includes meeting in home groups, children & youth sessions and luncheon meetings for men and women. That evening, following a covered dish meal, general sessions are again held.
Sunday, the mission coordinator and team members will be present and available to lead Sunday school and the morning worship service. Sunday evening the church gathers without the team for a time of celebration, sharing and planning for the future.